Monday, October 27, 2008

Wine Hits the Ground

This is a continuation of my last post. Since I am new to blogging, I could not quite figure out how to update the last post, so I am just going to start a new one. Think of this in the same way as you think of open source projects starting over from scratch because maintaining their old code base is too hard.

My experience should prove that Wine ratings are bullshit, and even if an applications is 'Platinum', that does not mean it can be run under Linux for real world applications. I also saw that Fallout 2 was tested under Wine in Ubuntu Hardy last May, and it apparently worked. This just shows that a shit ton can change in a few months. Why do applications work one day and then not work the next? This problem could rather easily be fixed if developers or dedicated testers tested their applications against a weekly snapshot of Wine. I am sure the lusers will cry out, "but Wine is mostly an amateur project, so they could not afford all those apps, blahblahblah" Well, maybe Codeweavers should test at least all of the Platinum applications and file it as a cost of doing business. Another good idea would be for the major distros to take Windows compatibility seriously and give some cash money to the Wine project for software licenses. Yet another good idea would be for the Wine project to 'bless' a standard release binary and coerce the distros into including ONLY that release binary. Why do I get the feeling that none of this will happen?

By the way, since this is an 'open source' project, I am going to depend on the 'community' to tell me how to update Blogger posts, so spill the beans.

Update: Oh, it is just the goddamn pencil icon. Nevermind.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Translation:

I am 12 years old, and I don't know how to use Linux! Wahhh, I want my little-kids' OS, Windows! Wahhh, MOMMY!